Community Networking services provide individualized day activities that support the individual’s definition of a meaningful day in an integrated community setting, with persons who are not disabled. This service is provided separate and apart from the individual’s private residence, other residential living arrangement, and/or the home of a service provider. These services do not take place in licensed facilities and are intended to offer the individual the opportunity to develop meaningful community relationships with non-disabled individuals. Services are designed to promote maximum participation in community life while developing natural supports within integrated settings. Community Networking services enable the individual to increase or maintain their capacity for independence and develop social roles valued by non-disabled members of the community. As individuals gain skills and increase community connections, service hours should fade; however a formal fading plan is not required.
Community Networking services consist of:
(1) Participation in adult education;
(2) Development of community based time management skills;
(3) Community based classes for the development of hobbies or leisure/cultural interests;
(4) Volunteer work (defined as work that would be completed by a non-disabled person with no compensation, including direct payment; free memberships etc.);
(5) Participation in formal/informal associations and/or community groups;
(6) Training and education in self-determination and self-advocacy;
(7) Using public transportation;
(8) Inclusion in a broad range of community settings that allow the individual to make community connections; and/or
(9) For children, this service includes staffing supports to assist children to participate in day care/after school/ summer programs that serve typically developing children and are not funded by Day Supports.
(10) Transportation when the activity does not include staffing support and the destination of the transportation is an integrated community setting or a self-advocacy activity.
This service includes a combination of training, personal assistance and supports as needed by the individual during activities. Transportation to/from the individual’s residence and the training site(s) is included.