P & W Group, a mental health agency in Henderson, North Carolina, was started in 2007. We have several programs that work to bridge people and their communities throughout North Carolina where our goal is to aid in fostering independence for our clients who face challenges. Our programs include an adult day service in Henderson, NC, an adult day service in Oxford, NC, an adult male group home and also community programs where trained staff work 1-on-1 with individuals to foster daily living skills.
The mission of P & W Group is to provide high quality person-centered services which ensure functional outcomes for creative and unique success to participants while bridging the gap between these participants and their communities.
P & W Offers Services that include…
There are often misconceptions about adult who have a mental disability. Here are some facts:
- “Intellectual disability” (previously known as mental retardation) means that an individual mentally develops at a below-average rate. These people can have learning difficulties and trouble adjusting socially.
- Intellectual disability (sometimes called “cognitive disability”) is not a disease or a contagious condition.
- This type of disability which is different in everyone (just like a fingerprint) can be caused by any condition which impairs development of the brain before or during birth or in early childhood.
- There are more than 250 causes of intellectual disability.
- In the US, roughly 4.6 million people are identified as having an intellectual disability.
- Children with cognitive disabilities may develop slower than other children in terms of speaking, walking, and taking care of themselves (showering, eating, dressing).
- About 25% of cases withmental disability are caused by a genetic disorder.
- A poll conducted in the UK concluded that “retarded” was the most offensive disability-related word.
- The majority of individuals affected by these disabilities show only mild symptoms and, with the right support, can greatly improve, learn, and develop.
- 92% of adults with mental disability live independently or with family members, while 8% live in an institution or group home.
- In about 25 to 33% of children born with mental disability, the cause is unknown.
If you’re interested in learning more about our services, please read more here. We are proud to cover many areas of North Carolina including Henderson, Oxford, Huntsboro, Dabney, Williamsboro, Townsville, Stovall, Oak Hill, Hebron, Norlina, Vicksboro, Weldon’s Mill, Warrenton, Watkins, Kittrell, Rocky Ford, Raleigh, Durham, Roxboro, Creedmoor, Butner, Macon, Wise, Louisburg, Franklinton, Wake Forest, Stem, Moriah and other cities in Warren County, Durham County, Wake County, Vance County, Granville County and Franklin County.